Photo source: Slworking2, “This house burned to the ground, while the one next door survived with just a few scorch marks.” October 28, 2007 via Flickr, Creative Commons Attribution.
Home survival in wildfire prone areas depends on a combination of choices regarding building materials and design decisions for the home or building combined with adequate vegetation management in the area surrounding your home (i.e., your “defensible space”). The resources listed below provide more information regarding the performance of materials and building design issues in wildfire prone areas.
- Exterior Rated Fire Retardant Treated Wood
- Fire Ratings for Construction Materials
- Fire Ratings for Roofing Material
- Impact of Oil-Based Penetrating Stains on the Fire Performance of Deck Boards
- Window Failure During Wildfires
- Vulnerabilities of Buildings to Wildfire Exposures